My Blog List

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Texas and Conflict with Religion and Science

The argument over evolution and its discrepancy with religious beliefs has sadly been left unresolved. In his article, Texas School Board of Gym Teachers, William Gee clearly points out the clash by pulling on his own experience of dealing with being a science major with a religious background. Although I agree with his idea that religion should not even be a debate as one is based on tested theories and the other on a set of 'deep rooted beliefs', I think it is important that children get a view on both perspectives. Perhaps Texas School Boards decision to have alternative online material to be taught along with evolution as a curriculum standard can be a good thing.

Science and religion are completely different realms and, as Gee has concluded, they should not be intertwined. Facts are facts and you can still trust them even if spiritually you are taught to believe in God. However, I feel it is vital for children to have a well rounded education and it is important for kids to see different perspectives on all issues in order to better form their own argument. For example, in my science classes whenever we learned about evolution we had to learn about creationism. It was not something I ever believed, but it really opened up my eyes to the existence of this debate. I had no idea it was out there before and I simply assumed that everyone believed in evolution. By learning about the other perspective and discussing the issue with my classmates, I think I learned to better approach the issue and try to understand the other side's argument. Therefore, I feel it is important for schools in Texas to have even a mandatory class on creationism in order to discuss its relevance to the whole debate. Perhaps this way, the children can be educated to understand the difference between science and theology and that it is okay to be religious yet still be a devote Christian. I think its especially relevant to Texas as I believe there are a lot of strictly conservative thinkers who should allow for healthy debate on the issue rather than force one perspective on children ie brainwashing them.

Therefore, although I understand your view Gee I think that its important to let science be science but also allow for other perspectives to be explored. I am not saying they are valid or that they should be presented in place of evolution- but they should be there for children to learn about, especially in Texas. Perhaps then the Texas School Boards decision was not a complete disaster after all. Unless of course, I misinterpreted what the meaning of 'alternative online material.' If so, this would be my only criticism about the article as it remained slightly unclear. All in all though, I really enjoyed the personal insight that was presented about the issue and the way the article was easy to read.

Aleksandra.

No comments:

Post a Comment